[Koha-devel] Splitting bugs into multiple patches

Mark Tompsett mtompset at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 23 11:46:06 CET 2014

Greetings,

> Another question. Is there any rule of thumb into how many parts a bug
> should be split?
> For example, if I add a few lines in a perl module, modify two intranet
> HTML templates and an OPAC HTML template.
> Should this be divided into three commits? Or just one, since you can't
> easily test the perl module without the templates?
> Or one part for the pm and intranet changes and another for the OPAC
> changes?

The split wouldn't, in my understanding be based on whether they are
intranet or OPAC template changes. The split would be based on whether
bootstrap or prog changes.

Now whether you split like case 1:
    commit 1: code changes
    commit 2: bootstrap template changes
    commit 3: prog template changes
Or whether you split like case 2:
    commit 1: code changes + prog template changes
    commit 2: bootstrap template changes
Or whether you split like case 3:
    commit 1: code changes + bootstrap template changes
    commit 2: prog template changes
-- This is less clear. Though, case 1 is ultimately safest, and allows for
easier back porting to earlier versions.

Oh, and there is a ccsr theme, but my understanding is that it falls back to
prog when lacking a specific theme file.

GPML,
Mark Tompsett