[Koha-devel] Some thoughts on the SIP-server scalability

Colin Campbell colin.campbell at ptfs-europe.com
Fri Jan 31 16:10:48 CET 2014

On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 01:15:20PM +0100, Petter Goksøyr Åsen wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I have found out:
> Koha's SIP server can only handle one request at a time. So if you need more
> you have to spin up more SIP-severes. This fine for a few, but try to spin up
> 30 of theese - it takes 15 minutes just to get them all started on a new box
> with plenty of RAM & CPU.

I'm not seeing these kind of startup times and we have a couple of sites
running between 100 and 150 instances. Are you running these up on one
port? In practice we tend to assign multiple ports to sip because its
easier tracking back and dealing with any networking issues. (i.e. we
have a port for branch x and if there are network issues there its
easier to track them and restart that port separately).

The SIPServer listener forks a separate process to handle a connection
which is more efficient than using a POE type architecture. Where that
could be improved is allowing some reaping of inactive processes where
the client device does not close the connection with a log out.

Colin

--
Colin Campbell
Chief Software Engineer,