[Koha-devel] Here's a little thing i wrote... kohaprofile

Magnus Enger magnus at enger.priv.no
Tue Mar 18 11:34:12 CET 2014

Dear Community,

I spent the last day of the hackfest in Marseille hacking together a
"proof of concept" script for checking changes in the performance of
Koha over time:

https://github.com/digibib/kohaprofile

The idea is to step x commits back in time, run a bunch of timed
tests/benchmarks on Koha, take one step forwards in time, run the
tests again etc. Hopefully this might be able to show us what the
general trends are, and if there are any changes that lead to
noticeable increases in response times.

If you run the same benchmark a few times in a row, the response times
vary quite a bit. Perhaps there is too much "noise" for this to be
really useful. (To mitigate this, the script can run the tests y
number of times and record the average time. Perhaps there are better
ways to deal with the statistics of this, like removing the fastest
and the slowest time etc.)

This is a "proof of concept", so I would be really interested in
hearing your thoughts on it. If the concensus is that it does not
yield interesting data, I'll abandon the project. If people think it
has some merit I would be more than happy to accept pull requests for
improving it. :-)

See the README for some ideas for improvements.

Does anyone know if there are tools that can do what I'm trying to
accomplish here (specifically the idea of stepping through Git history
to check performance) already?

Best regards,
Magnus