[Koha-devel] Hiding...

David Cook dcook at prosentient.com.au
Mon Nov 24 00:16:22 CET 2014

1) 942$n

While this is marked at the biblio level, this is actually a "Zebra level" type of hiding. When you choose to use OpacSuppression, you're basically saying "Zebra, don't return anything that has a value in this index."

Since this is determined by the search query, it's irrelevant when it comes to filtering fields and subfields.

2) OpacHiddenItems

This is a tough one, since we hide the entire biblio if all the items within it are hidden. Would have to think more about this one... I both like and dislike this system preference.

3) MARC Bibliographic Frameworks

Yes, I know that bug 11592 refers to method 3. In fact, that's why I brought up Tomas's idea of using XSLTs for filtering instead. There would be a XSLT for each framework which could be changed dynamically each time the framework is changed, which should not be very often anyway. When retrieving records from the database or Zebra, the record would be filtered through the XSLT.

After re-reading the title of your bug, I can see how you can say that it doesn't relate to search results. However, conceptually, it does relate to search results. Conceptually, the visibility in the bibliographic frameworks should always apply to records whether they're retrieved from Zebra or MySQL. For instance, say field X is hidden in the framework. With your scripts, it would be hidden in the detail views, but it wouldn't be hidden in the search results. Doesn't that completely defeat the point of hiding it on the detail page if they can see it in the search results, which is likely their first point of contact with the record anyway?

David Cook
Systems Librarian
Prosentient Systems
72/330 Wattle St, Ultimo, NSW 2007