[Koha-devel] upcoming_digest?!

Barton Chittenden barton at bywatersolutions.com
Wed Nov 26 02:41:58 CET 2014

> Mark,

You were spot on when you said "there must be some side-effect obscuring
the code"

$upcoming_digest is set on line 281:

http://git.koha-community.org/gitweb/?p=koha.git;a=blob;f=misc/cronjobs/advance_notices.pl;h=62e36e4a92920b2bafc67c79043bf0a197491842;hb=HEAD#l281

Here's the code snippit

281             my $digest =
$upcoming_digest->{$upcoming->{'borrowernumber'}} ||= {};

This is saying

If $upcoming_digest->{$upcoming->{'borrowernumber'}} is false, set it to an
empy hashref.

Then set the $digest to the value
of $upcoming_digest->{$upcoming->{'borrowernumber'}}.

It just so happens that advance_notices.pl was the first piece of Koha code
that I read through in detail ,and I remember griping about it in #koha:

http://irc.koha-community.org/koha/2014-01-22#i_1455327

Your reply was

15:39 mtompset > Oh my! That is perl abuse. :P

;-) ;-)

Unfortunately, I didn't file a bug report as suggested by tcohen.

--Barton