[Koha-devel] Question about debian scripts

Barton Chittenden barton at bywatersolutions.com
Fri Nov 28 22:29:46 CET 2014

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 4:25 PM, Robin Sheat <robin at catalyst.net.nz> wrote:

> Mark Tompsett schreef op wo 26-11-2014 om 15:49 [-0500]:
> > QUESTION: Do all the koha command scripts need to be only sh?
> >
> For debian/ubuntu, except init scripts, bash is fine as it's required to
> be installed.

My personal preference if to write the most portable code practical. As
such, I'd prefer changing the prompt to "Press enter to continue.", and
keep the hashbang set to #!/bin/sh, but that's more because I lean toward
the old school "more portability is better" and less because I think that
there's a *real* argument to be made there, given that we've already
decided that debian is the standard platform for Koha... (and
realistically, who *doesn't* have bash? You can run it under Windows, even).

> For init scripts, ubuntu (last I heard) runs them under dash, which is
> mostly but not totally the same.

dash is the Debian implementation of POSIX shell. It tends to adhere
strictly to the POSIX standard. I would say that it should preferred over
bash in the following cases:

* The script might, at some point in the future be run from /etc/init.d/
* The script itself is processor intensive - dash is faster than bash.

--Barton