[Koha-devel] Conventions for CLI scripts

Robin Sheat robin at catalyst.net.nz
Thu Oct 23 01:04:50 CEST 2014

Paul Poulain schreef op di 21-10-2014 om 09:53 [+0200]:
> I've 2 strong opinions:
>    * if the script does something that can't be rolled back, there
> *must* be a of validation. for example "delete_bibs_without_items.pl"
> must not delete anything without warning. This warning can be
> something
> like "you're about to delete 100000 bibliographic records. Are you
> sure
> Y/N", unless the script is run with a parameter
> (delete_bibs_without_items.pl -y)

I quite like that idea actually. We'd also want some tests for running
within a TTY etc so we don't end up blocking forever, but that's not
hard.

> Additional question: some CLI are made for being run from cron. In
> this
> case, no information should be printed unless something goes wrong.
> SO:
> by default, should scripts be silent:
>   * no parameters = silent mode
>   * -v = some informations
>   * -vv (or -v 2, or --very-verbose, I don't care ;-) ) = verbose mode

-vvvvv is the standard way of doing such things, and very easy to do
with Getopt::Long. I think this scheme is the best idea for things that
are designed to be cron'ed, as opposed to:

--
Robin Sheat
Catalyst IT Ltd.