[Koha-devel] Presentation to mailing list: akafred

akafred koha at akafred.com
Tue Sep 30 09:41:23 CEST 2014

Hi!

Just a short intro as per the welcome mail:

I am contracted by the Oslo Public Library (Deichmanske bibliotek) in
Norway to help out in their efforts to build systems for their new library
that will open in Oslo in a few years. Koha has been chosen as a
cornerstone in this effort.

I have been working as a consultant for 15+ years, developing business
critical systems for clients in and around Oslo. I LOVE programming, but I
also have a passion for quality and a certain disdain for repetitive tasks,
and error prone, manual, routines - so I am very into Test-Driven
Development (London-style), automation (e g using provisioning tools like
Ansible, SaltStack, Puppet, Chef) and prefer properly tested deployment
units (like a jar, war, Docker image or, if all else fails, a virtual
machine image).

Generally, I think learning is what all development efforts should optimize
their efforts for, and that transparency, collaboration and rapid feedback
are key ingredients in achieving that. The better we are at learning the
better we will be at creating awesome stuff that works for our end users.

We are in an early phase in our efforts but if you are curious a lot of
what we do will be publicly available on our github profile:
https://github.com/digibib
These days we are looking into how to deploy Koha in Docker.

My real name is impossible for non-Norwegians to parse, remember and
pronounce so on the interwebs I mostly go by a nickname I chose in a moment
of general unclarity and confusion: "Fred" ... so I am a.k.a Fred ....
akafred. I try to stop by #koha as akafred, but not always 'there' even if
it looks like it - koha at akafred.com works though.

See ya :-)

Regards,

- Kjetil a.k.a. "Fred"