[Koha-devel] plack in production

Brendan Gallagher info at bywatersolutions.com
Sat Apr 18 05:50:50 CEST 2015

Great info Gaetan!

What does everyone feel about these tests?  Can we get a little feedback
here so that we can get some good bugs going?

The can't call method "field" I've seen before - but I have always chalked
that up to a bad MARC record.  (Please let's kill MARC ;)  we can do better
;)  )

The other ones I haven't seen before.

Thanks,
Brendan

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 7:00 AM, Gaetan Boisson <gaetan.boisson at biblibre.com
> wrote:

>  Hello,
>
> we have tested plack a little further. We have achieved much more
> stability but are still encountering very serious bugs, before filing a
> report for each of them, i would like to ask here whether it does sound
> like something that is happening because of plack, and whether this has
> been identified before :
>
> - A vast majority of records are giving a "The record you requested does
> not exist" message when trying to display the detailed record, even though
> the record does seem to exist in the database, and i was even able to check
> out items linked to said record.
> - trying to place a reservation and a document from a result list results
> in an error, maybe unsurprisingly given the above :
>
> Can't call method "field" on an undefined value at
> /home/koha/src/C4/Items.pm line 1625.
>  at /usr/share/perl/5.18/CGI/Carp.pm line 378
>
> - i noticed a delay between changing circulation rules and seeing them
> applied when checking out items (the rule was saying i could borrow 13
> items, i brought it down to 2, but was then able to checkout 3 items
> without getting a notice. Shortly after i was getting proper notices
> telling me i was exceeding the quota)
> - There were numerous encoding problems with non ascii characters, this
> might be linked to Bug 13815 - plack loose CGI qw(-utf8) flag creating
> incorrect utf-8 encoding everywhere; but this was not just patrons.
> Cataloging frameworks, authorised values, fund names were all affected.
> - exporting data from cgi-bin/koha/tools/export.pl also lead to a crash,
> which seems to be linked to UTF-8 issue too:
>
> :11: parser error : Input is not proper UTF-8, indicate encoding !
>     <subfield code="p">5.40�</subfield>
>                            ^
>  at /home/koha/src/tools/export.pl line 683
>
> Let me know what seems geniunely new and plack related to you and i will
> file the bugs.
>
> Thanks!
>

> Le 26/03/2015 16:17, Gaetan Boisson a écrit :
>
>>  Hello all,
>>
>> we have been talking about plack quite a lot in the last hackfest, and i
>> must say i am not that comfortable with the technical aspects and hardly
>> understand what the issues are, but...
>>
>> I tried it with the help of our sysops a couple days ago, and i must say
>> koha does feel *really* fast with plack enabled. If you havent yet, you
>> should try. It really made me realize why this should be a priority for us
>> to get it to work.
>>
>> Now, it turns out it really doesn't work for us. It keeps crashing every
>> few minutes. We haven't had time to investigate any further, but before
>> pouring more time in this i wanted to know whether anyone was using it
>> seriously (including for the staff interface), and what your conclusions
>> are. Importantly, i would also like to know more about the recommended
>> configuration, and the areas we should have a close look at in our set up.

> [...]

Brendan A. Gallagher
ByWater Solutions
CEO

Support and Consulting for Open Source Software
Installation, Data Migration, Training, Customization, Hosting
and Complete Support Packages
Headquarters: Santa Barbara, CA - Office: Redding, CT
Phone # (888) 900-8944
http://bywatersolutions.com
info at bywatersolutions.com