[Koha-devel] Update on Plack support for the packages

Tomas Cohen Arazi tomascohen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 20:17:41 CEST 2015

Hi fellows,

Some people have vacation right now, but those who stay here won't miss the
fun :-D
I have just attached to bug 13791 my work on integrating Plack into the
packages setup / maintenance/management scripts.

I created a koha-plack script which is self explained if run with --help or
(if you build the packages out of master+patchset) man koha-plack.

It basically uses starman and start-stop-daemon to handle running plack
instances for each Koha instance.

For simplicity (we talked about this in Marseille) I've decided to take
full advantage of Apache 2.4.7+ features and the results are quite
interesting in terms of setup complexity (compared to current approaches).
Starman is run so it listens on a UNIX Domain Socket (on the filesystem, on
a deterministic location, /var/run/koha/<instance>/plack.sock) and Apache
just uses ProxyPass with UDS. I also make use of variable declaration
capabilities in Apache.

Please take a gentle look, comment on this thread on things that could be
improved, and have the ball rolling so we have out-of-the-box plack setup
ready for 3.22 in November \o/

TODO:
- Revisit the reverse proxy configuration
- Haven't really tested packagin this yet

Kind regards

--
Tomás Cohen Arazi
Theke Solutions (http://theke.io)