[Koha-devel] Search speed

Robin Sheat robin at catalyst.net.nz
Sun Feb 1 23:20:40 CET 2015

Fridolin SOMERS schreef op vr 30-01-2015 om 17:40 [+0100]:
> You can launch Zebra multi-threaded using :
> zebrasrv -T

From the documentation:

-T
        Operate the server in threaded mode. The server creates a thread
        for each connection rather than a fork a process. Only available
        on UNIX systems that offers POSIX threads.

So, this will have no real gain as it doesn't run a single request
multithreaded. Process creation in Linux is almost free (this isn't the
case on some other operating systems), so it shouldn't have any
significant effect.

The benefit of multiprocess rather than multithreaded is that if one
process crashes, it doesn't take all the other ones with it.

Mark Tompsett schreef op vr 30-01-2015 om 16:53 [-0500]:
> If there is no negative effect, and only positive effects, I'd be more than
> willing to submit a patch to default with a -T. :)

I would encourage reading the documentation first, so that you
understand what it actually does.

Paul A schreef op vr 30-01-2015 om 17:34 [-0500]:
> I'm looking for "negatives" right now. Give me another little while, and
> I'll do a bug/enhancement myself with all the numbers (a bit of a struggle,
> NYTProf doesn't appear to like multi-threading.)

You're still misunderstanding how everything ties together, and this
means you won't understand the results you get.

      * NYTProf doesn't have to care about multithreading because it is
        profiling Koha and Koha is not multithreaded.
      * NYTProf doesn't profile zebra because zebra is not written in
        Perl and is not part of Koha.
      * Zebra is a service that Koha asks a question to, and gets a
        result. It could be (and sometimes is) on a totally different
        server.

NYTProf doesn't know and doesn't care whether zebrasrv forks itself or
spawns a thread when it gets a connection, neither does Koha. The option
to make zebrasrv use threads is purely a system administration level
decision made with awareness of what it means.

--
Robin Sheat
Catalyst IT Ltd.