[Koha-devel] Search speed

Tomas Cohen Arazi tomascohen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 23:16:20 CET 2015

For a fair comparison you should set facetNumRecs = 20 in
zebradb/zebra-biblios-dom.xml. Because otherwise use_zebra_facets=0 is only
processing the first 20 records, against 1000 from use_zebra_facets=1.

Regarding the amount of statements/function calls, I don't think they mean
too much. Some things got pulled from a +150 line piece of code into
several helper functions. I don't think it introduces much overhead.

REgards
Tomas

PS. if you play with facetNumRecs, remember to restart zebra each time you
change it.

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 6:22 PM, Paul A <paul.a at navalmarinearchive.com>
wrote:

> At 02:02 PM 2/2/2015 +0000, Tomas Cohen Arazi wrote:
>
>> Paul, while you are running your tests, could you please compare this
>> both scenarios:
>> - <use_zebra_facets>1</use_zebra_facets>
>> - <use_zebra_facets>0</use_zebra_facets>
>> Thanks
>> PS: I have found that searchResults is too slow too.
>>

> I have posted notes, results and some NYTProf examples at <
> http://navalmarinearchive.com/z_koha/> -- the results are repeatable (I
> must have run NYTProf nearly 200 times.)
>
> Provisional conclusions are that <use_zebra_facets> = 1 (true) is not
> usable in production for a search that finds > 20k results. For smaller
> results, it might be acceptable, but is still appreciably slower than 3.08.
> Under the best circumstances (0-5 results) 3.08 responds in < 0.7 secs,
> 3.18 in 1.3 secs.  At the other extreme (25k results), 3.08 requires 1.07
> secs, 3.18 21+ secs.
>
> I have defined an "optimal" 3.18 combination (see green line, Graph 2)
> which runs at about half the speed of 3.08, but does not give 'Series',
> 'Places' and 'Titles' in the facets.
>
> One point that jumped out is that a best case 3.08 search executes 431207
> statements and 76556 subroutine calls in 297 source files and 81 string
> evals whereas a worst case 3.18 executes 1238167 statements and 309905
> subroutine calls in 591 source files and 132 string evals. (Even the worst
> case 308 appears much more efficient than the best case 3.18.)
>
> The use of -T to start Zebra is non-conclusive -- it vaguely slows down
> smaller result sets and vaguely speeds up larger result sets (testing is
> repeatable.)  Robin was of course quite correct in his recent email, but I
> cannot explain even the minor variations experienced.
>
> I'm not at all certain how to file this as a bug, so will await any
> comments.
>
> Best -- Paul

Tomás Cohen Arazi
Prosecretaría de Informática
Universidad Nacional de Córdoba
✆ +54 351 5353750 ext 13168
GPG: B76C 6E7C 2D80 551A C765  E225 0A27 2EA1 B2F3 C15F