[Koha-devel] [Koha] Koha development

Brendan Gallagher info at bywatersolutions.com
Fri Feb 13 22:43:19 CET 2015

Oh that is an excellent point.  So Koha is installed in 10 thousand
(10,000) plus libraries around the world (considering there are 1000+ in
Turkey and 1000+ in Argentina, just to name two large concentrations of
installations) .  Maybe other systems have that too, but man everyone who
works with Koha - that's a really great number.  So a BIG PAT on everyones
back - that's just awesome.

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 6:30 AM, Tomas Cohen Arazi <tomascohen at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I think it will all depend on how you read the numbers.
>
> If a project has (say) a third of the developers another project has, but
> has the amount of institutions using it, Koha has, it is a point won by the
> project. If the feature set is equal or better, then those numbers become
> more and more in favor of the project.
>
> That said, I'm not sure how the FTE measuring model serves to what
> purpose. I guess it will depend on marketing guys using the numbers one way
> or the other.
>
> In any case, I'm intrigued by this measures, because I'm confident Koha
> would show really interesting numbers ;-)
>

> On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 10:55 AM, Paul Poulain <paul.poulain at biblibre.com>
> wrote:
>
>>  Le 12/02/2015 22:14, Marshall Breeding a écrit :
>>
>>  Brendan,
>>

>> Some personnel FTE numbers from last year can be seen on the tables from
>> the Library Systems Report:
>>

>> http://www.americanlibrariesmagazine.org/sites/americanlibrariesmagazine.org/files/content/Charts_MarshallBreeding.pdf
>>

>> The numbers are for the company overall, and not limited to efforts
>> expended on specific products or projects.
>>

>> I 100000% agree with what other have said ! We differ so much from
>> proprietary vendors that comparing is a hazardous thing. Do you have the
>> answer to the following question: "is 2km bigger or smaller than 3kg ?"
>>
>> Additional thought: I feel that, once again, I have missed the "marketing
>> speech" in my answer (3FTE). I should have said 10 !
>> Marshall, what you must understand is that we've no marketing guy in our
>> project (at least on koha-devel mailing lists). Most of us (all of us ?)
>> don't care of being bigger/more beautiful/higher/... than others. We focus
>> on product and development. What we love is hacking, not selling/promoting.
>> The consequence is that you'll compare numbers given by marketing guys vs
>> numbers given by tecchie guys (I'm not implying that marketing guys lie.
>> But we don't have the same way of understanding/explaining things. Once
>> again 2km vs 3kg... )
>>
>> Just one example: at the beginning of BibLibre, we were counting "Aix
>> Marseille university" as one library ("it's obvious, that's one contract").
>> Then we realized that other were counting differently. So now we count Aix
>> Marseille as 57 libraries ("it's obvious, it's a university with 57
>> different libraries").
>> But as we're still honest, scientists, and we prefer valid & verifiable
>> numbers. So we usually say "BibLibre support more than 500 libraries
>> through 100+ contracts" ;-)
>>
>> Another example : compare my presentation made at KohaCon and the one
>> made by Alvet (from Ebsco) : one was basic, the other was fancy. We will
>> probably never reach such a quality in terms of fanciness. That's probably
>> a weakness, but I'm sure that's also a strength: we want nothing less than
>> changing the way ppl do business ;-) 2kg and 3km ...

> [...]

Brendan A. Gallagher
ByWater Solutions
CEO

Support and Consulting for Open Source Software
Installation, Data Migration, Training, Customization, Hosting
and Complete Support Packages
Headquarters: Santa Barbara, CA - Office: Redding, CT
Phone # (888) 900-8944
http://bywatersolutions.com
info at bywatersolutions.com