[Koha-devel] Bug 7174 - Authentication rewriting and getting to REST API

Kivilahti Olli-Antti olli-antti.kivilahti at jns.fi
Wed Jul 22 13:38:58 CEST 2015

Hi there!

Few weeks ago in an IRC meeting Kyle told me that the REST API should
also allow authentication from the CGISESSID.
I told it is easy peezy.

Had I known in what a mess the C4::Auth is...

I didn't want to make things worse by duplicating somebodys already
duplicated code, so I decided to take the hard way.

I did my best in trying to bring all the real world problems we tackle
in C4::Auth into modular and reusable authentication components we can
use to authenticate different types of requests.

I have to say it was really really difficult, but I think I have a
pretty decent solution. (with PageObject integration tests to cover for
regression)

For my sanity, and yours, I ask you to take a peek at Bug 7174 and Bug
14540 to find some structure to the Koha's authentication mechanisms.
There is a nice picture and a lot of text... and code, and tests.

Take Care!

Olli-Antti Kivilahti
Järjestelmäkeittäjä
vaarakirjastot.fi