[Koha-devel] [Koha-patches] Bug 14407 - Limit web-based self-checkout to specific IP addresses

Jesse pianohacker at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 19:14:57 CEST 2015

(moving this discussion to koha-devel)

Koha currently just uses regular expressions to match against IP addresses
(see line 1040 or so in latest C4/Auth.pm). While this isn't terribly
elegant, it's at least simple; what additional benefits does
Net::IP::Match::XS bring? (It would also be a problematic dependency, given
that it's not currently a Debian package.)

vanoudt at gmail.com>:

> Greetings everyone,
>
> As I'm still very much a perl newbie, I'd love to get some feedback on a
> patch I just pushed to bug 14407 (my own bug!) We use Self-Checkout here
> <http://library.pbc.wa.edu.au/>, with users just having to scan their
> barcode to take books out. Our OPAC is also live over the internet. That
> means that anyone who knows Koha, can access the self-checkout from off
> campus! This patch adds a preference allowing one to limit access to those
> pages to specific IP addresses or ranges. I've used  Net::IP::Match::XS to
> do the heavy lifting - is there another library that Koha already uses to
> do the same sort of thing?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Nick
> Perth Bible College <http://www.pbc.wa.edu.au/>