[Koha-devel] Upgrade path for packages

Robin Sheat robin at catalyst.net.nz
Mon Mar 16 05:05:08 CET 2015

Tomas Cohen Arazi schreef op di 24-02-2015 om 15:55 [-0300]:
> We still need to fix our packaging schema in which people are forced
> to jump into .0 releases because of our repository naming schema.
>

> I propose we step forward and create "3.18", "3.20" and so on, instead
> of just "stable", "oldstable", etc. This way no one will be forced to
> jump into another major release.

What would make this easier is some form of automation. I hope, when I
get the chance, to write some scripts that make the package building a
bit easier, perhaps using a VM to do it or something.

> "stable" "oldstable" and "testing" might still be usable as they are
> now, nothing prevents a .deb package from populating more than one
> slot. Or even of symbolic links...

The pocket has to go into the changelog, so it's not totally simple.
However, it would be feasible with symlinks, which is how I did the more
recent change.

This leads me on to something I plan to do that will probably make this
all a bit easier: separating the debian/ directory from the main repo.
Probably into a totally separate repo. This may seem weird, but it has
some advantages, such as being able to use the Debian pkg-perl tools to
manage things, and keeping it more in line with how perl libraries and
applications are done in general. I'm not sure yet if it'll be a partial
or total split (i.e. should debian/scripts and debian/templates remain
in the main Koha repo, maybe cron and init stuff too - thereby having
just the strictly packaging things in the separate repo.)

However, it'll make making slightly different twists on packages a whole
lot easier, for example where there's just a changelog change, or
dependency issues to handle a difference between ubuntu and debian, or
something like that. It would also make easier automation and having
more distinct pockets.

Anyway, some time soon I hope to do some planning on this, rather than
just dumping thoughts into an email.

--
Robin Sheat
Catalyst IT Ltd.