[Koha-devel] Question about GPLv3 and AGPLv3

Chris Cormack chrisc at catalyst.net.nz
Mon Mar 16 21:14:32 CET 2015

* Indranil Das Gupta (indradg at gmail.com) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I had earlier posted this on FB, and Chris has already responded to
> it. But I'm still not fully clear in my head so posting here.
>
> I'm integrating IA BookReader (under AGPLv3) with Koha. The JS and CSS
> files from IA BookReader will remain under AGPLv3. But I'm not sure of
> the following:
>
> What is the appropriate license for the bookreader.tt, bookreader.pl
> and the bookreader.pm that I've coded? Can these be under GPLv3 (and
> possibly pushed upstream as a patch for Koha in future)? Or do I need
> to maintain them as a separate "pack" under AGPLv3, that an user of
> Koha can choose to integrate.

IANAL but
You can license them under GPLv3. However the resulting distribution
(if you include the AGPLv3 files in it, is AGPLv3).

Hope this makes some sense. It might be worth firing a question off to
the software freedom law center.
https://www.softwarefreedom.org/

As they provide pro bono legal services to FLOSS developers. They will
give you a more correct answer i'm sure.

Chris

--
Chris Cormack
Catalyst IT Ltd.