[Koha-devel] Learning Tools Interoperability

Mirko Tietgen mirko at abunchofthings.net
Thu May 7 13:56:59 CEST 2015

Hi Bob,

Bob Birchall schrieb am 07.05.2015

> Hi, I've been asked if Koha has support for LTI and if not, is it
> in a road map? I guess they mean this:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Learning_Tools_Interoperability
>
> Its not something I have heard of before.  Any thoughts?

I came across this a while back when I started using
BigBlueButton.[1] This is more like an overview of things I found
than an opinion on LTI support in Koha.

Basically there are hosts (called »consumers«) and plugins (called
»tools«) that are supposed to allow easy interoperability. Hosts can
be learning management systems like moodle[2] (often used by german
universities), tools can be a lot of different things. I found a
list here.[3]

There seems to be only a small number of Free Software tools
available (only searched the page for »open«, did not check all
corresponding websites).

When I did my research, I was thinking of Koha as a host, so I could
have BigBlueButton as a tool in Koha. It's also possible the person
that asked you was thinking of Koha as a tool within a different
host (have the OPAC or some administration within an LMS maybe?).
The latter would probably only work on a per-Koha-module-level.

I did not find the specs the last time and thought it was only
available to members (and lost interest quickly). Seems like that is
not true. I have not had a look at it but I have the link here so
I'll add it.[4] This is the first version, others can be found in
the overview page.[5]

LTI certification for software seems to be bound to membership.
Assuming Koha as a community project would be considered a
non-profit organisation, that is $500 US per year.[6] If i'm not
mistaken, it is possible to implement LTI without certification.

-- Mirko

[1] http://bigbluebutton.org/
[2] https://moodle.org
[3] http://developers.imsglobal.org/catalog.html