[Koha-devel] search speed

Gaetan Boisson gaetan.boisson at biblibre.com
Wed May 27 12:45:51 CEST 2015

  Hello again all,

looking at speed issues there is one thing that i don't understand, and
i feel some well versed developpers might have a better idea of what is
happening.

If you query zebra directly on the server, it's blazingly fast, no
matter how big your database and how many results you get. (At least the
difference is negligible, and we still get very low response times.)

But if you do a search in Koha that brings 20 000 results, it's usualy 4
times faster (maybe more, sorry i don't have precise metrics here) than
a search that brings up 1 000 000 results.

Is it consistent with your experience?

If it is, what would be the reason for this? My understanding is that
the search code asks zebra for the first n records to display on the
first page, and that facets are based on a number of result way below 20
000 anyway, so the total number of results shouldn't really make a
difference.

--
Gaetan Boisson
Chef de projet bibliothécaire