[Koha-devel] Improving Zebra logging

David Cook dcook at prosentient.com.au
Tue Nov 17 04:19:09 CET 2015

Hi all:

As if you weren't all sick of me going on and on about Zebra.

So you may or may not know that the Zebra logs are fairly useless in a
package install of Koha.

At Prosentient, we don't use package installs much, so I haven't noticed
this until now, but here's a tip:

If you want to see what requests are being made to Zebra, you can do the
following:

1)      vi /usr/sbin/koha-start-zebra

2)      Under start_zebra_instance, you can change "-v none,fatal,warn" to
"-v none,fatal,warn,request" (note that "request" is an undocumented log
level but it should work. alternately remove none and requests should appear
in the log)

3)      sudo koha-zebra-stop

4)      sudo koha-zebra-start

5)      profit (or at least see the PQF which is sent to the server and
whether you're getting errors or OK query responses)

This is the kind of additional output you should expect to see:

14:15:00-17/11 zebrasrv(2) [request] Auth idPass kohauser -

14:15:00-17/11 zebrasrv(2) [request] Init OK - ID:81 Name:ZOOM-C/YAZ
Version:4.2.30 98864b44c654645bc16b2c54f822dc2e45a93031

14:15:00-17/11 zebrasrv(2) [request] Search biblios OK 0 1 1+0 RPN @attrset
Bib-1 @attr 1=1016 @attr 4=6 @attr 5=1 test

Anyway, I wouldn't *actually* recommend changing /usr/sbin/koha-start-zebra
since that's part of the koha-common package. but maybe someone would be
interested in making change to the Zebra commands to allow for different
logging levels.

Other things to note:

koha-zebra-restart isn't the same thing as koha-zebra-stop &&
koha-zebra-start. If you restart Zebra after changing the flags for daemon
or zebrasrv, the changes won't be brought across.it's necessary to stop and
start it again. even though the process is actually restarted. it seems to
be restarted using the original configuration used when launching daemon in
the first place.

David Cook

Systems Librarian

Prosentient Systems