[Koha-devel] Benchmarks - prior to the 3.22 release

Paul A paul.a at navalmarinearchive.com
Sun Nov 29 18:42:35 CET 2015

At 10:16 AM 11/29/2015 +0100, Mirko Tietgen wrote:
>Hi Paul,
>I only used figures for 3.8 because I already had them. I am not
>particularly interested in that version, as it is very out of date
>and has not had a maintenance release in almost two years. You
>should consider upgrading.

Hi Mirko,

Many thanks for the reply. We update our production servers every two
years, so in Jan. of 2015 compared our existing 3.8.05 with the "latest"
3.18.3. The bottom line was that 3.8 could completely render "normal"
searches (say less than 200 results) in < 750 ms (new faster server <
550ms) while 3.18 had trouble beating 2000ms, and "fell off the edge of the
world" at 20+ seconds for the (abnormal?) cases of > 19,000 results. [1]
The staff interface for searching authorities (and pulling them up to edit
them) took a slightly worse hit.

I look forward to your trials with Plack, but *if* I understand Plack
correctly, it will improve the web rendering only -- not the
Koha/perl/Zebra/MySQL component of searching which is where 3.18 took a bad
hit for identical searches :

3.08: 604881 statements and 124374 subroutine calls in 306 source files and
84 string evals.
3.18: 1005756 statements and 247583 subroutine calls in 590 source files
and 132 string evals.

I can't explain this, but maybe you can? Your benchmarking for 3.22 (OK,
different db) shows:

3.22: 1809166 statements and 578656 subroutine calls in 657 source files
and 142 string evals.

so this progression through the versions, for "just plain searching" has
doubled the subroutine calls and source files (3.22 probably more than
that.) Is this mission creep? or security? or even necessary?

I certainly don't want to be negative about all the tremendous work that
goes into Koha, but have to wonder why "core functions" have apparently
been negatively impacted by added utilities, more modern web experience and
all the other highly desirable goodies.

Best -- Paul
[1] due partly to Zebra swamping a single core of the Intel I7 CPU (we
tried the "-T" option, but "multi-threading" still went to a single core.)