[Koha-devel] Proposed "metadata" table for Koha

David Cook dcook at prosentient.com.au
Mon Nov 30 04:30:27 CET 2015

For now, I think the metadata.record_id would link to biblionumber, but long-term it would probably link to some “record” table. So if you wanted to get all bibliographic records, you’d do something like:

select * from record

join metadata ON record.id = metadata.record_id

where record.type = ‘bibliographic’

Or maybe you want to search for a bibliographic record with a 001 of 123456789:

select * from record

join metadata ON record.id = metadata.record_id

where record.type = ‘bibliographic’ and metadata.qualifier = ‘001’ and metadata.value = ‘123456789’

--

Of course, off the top of my head, I don’t know how you’d store indicators and subfields in an extensible way. I suppose indicators are attributes and subfields are child elements...

I suppose DSpace actually does a “element” and “qualifier” approach for DC. So you’d have a “dc”, “author”, “primary”. Or “marc21” “100” “a”. Of course, that creates a limit of a single level of hierarchy which may or may not be desirable… and still doesn’t account for indicators/attributes.

I suppose there is more thinking to do there.

David Cook

Systems Librarian

Prosentient Systems

72/330 Wattle St, Ultimo, NSW 2007