[Koha-devel] Bootstrap 2.2.2 in the staff client

David Cook dcook at prosentient.com.au
Tue Sep 8 08:32:15 CEST 2015

Owen: Ahh, I didn't realize that Bootstrap had a customizer. I figured it
had to be something along those lines. It's a shame they don't indicate in
the comments that it was a custom version built by them at least :S.

Everyone: I also agree with Owen about there being a discussion about the
move from the existing Bootstrap 2 to a newer version. I figure the look,
feel, and usability of Koha is a rather high priority. The browser
requirements are also an important consideration (at least to me), since we
have quite a few clients using IE8 (which is dropped in Bootstrap 4), if I
recall correctly.

Bootstrap 3 dropped support for IE7, although one could workaround that with
the following https://github.com/coliff/bootstrap-ie7 (which I've done in
DSpace 3+). I don't know if someone is planning for something similar with
Bootstrap 4 or even if something similar is possible. I know, as a
community, that we're not that keen on supporting older versions of IE, so I
understand if that's a burden I need to take on individually (or if it's the
straw that breaks the camel's back and I start refusing to support it as
well).

Owen: Regarding the speed, did you find there was a noticeable difference in
the speed of the custom CSS vs the full CSS? Lately, I've been testing page
load speeds (for a different system), and it seems that the load times of
minified CSS are pretty trivial.

For example, at http://getbootstrap.com/getting-started/, it took 65ms to
load 23.9KB http://getbootstrap.com/dist/css/bootstrap.min.css, which
appears to be the full Bootstrap 3.3.5. The full file for 2.2.2
(https://maxcdn.bootstrapcdn.com/bootstrap/2.2.2/css/bootstrap.min.css) is
even smaller than that one. At .065 of a second, I think that's pretty fast.
I think if we're going to get speed improvements at this point, they're
going to come from Plack/mod_perl.

David Cook
Systems Librarian
Prosentient Systems