[Koha-devel] Cleaning up...

Paul A paul.a at navalmarinearchive.com
Thu Sep 17 18:06:56 CEST 2015

At 04:05 PM 9/17/2015 +0200, Stefano Bargioni wrote:
>+1 for "default in some newer versions".
>sb
>Robin Sheat writes:
>>Paul A schreef op vr 11-09-2015 om 18:37 [-0400]:
>>>-rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 1302331392 Sep 11 17:45 ibdata1
>>This is solved by using this option:
>>https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/innodb-parameters.html#sysvar_innodb_file_per_table
>>
>>which I'd recommend setting. It seems like it might be a default in some
>>newer versions.

When we upgraded our servers earlier this year (12.04LTS to 14.04LTS) we
tried upgrading to MySQL 5.6 (from 5.5.44). Time did not permit sorting out
all the glitches (notably date/timestamps which produced hard errors, but
from memory there were a few more details) which involved Koha as well as
other db's on the same servers.

We did try the innodb_file_per_table in 5.5 (but you have to ALTER all the
tables to get the benefits) and the sum total of all the individual files
was a little bigger than the original ibdata1 -- so whatever the other
benefits might have been, "spacesaving" (which was my original reply) was
not one of them.

YMMV ... and upgrading to 5.6 is still very much on my "jobs to do" list.

Paul