[Koha-devel] Cleaning up...

Robin Sheat robin at catalyst.net.nz
Fri Sep 18 03:29:10 CEST 2015

Paul A schreef op do 17-09-2015 om 12:06 [-0400]:
> We did try the innodb_file_per_table in 5.5 (but you have to ALTER all
> the
> tables to get the benefits) and the sum total of all the individual
> files
> was a little bigger than the original ibdata1 -- so whatever the
> other
> benefits might have been, "spacesaving" (which was my original reply)
> was
> not one of them.

You don't have to alter, a dump, drop database, and restore will sort it
out.

Space saving isn't strictly the goal. If you don't have file-per-table
then free space from deleting rows can't be reclaimed, so the ibdata1
file will never shrink.

This can mean that if, say, you empty that giant table of old staged
records, you don't get that space back unless you're using
file-per-table.

--
Robin Sheat
Catalyst IT Ltd.