[Koha-devel] Who all are purposing Koha as an Union Catalog?

David Cook dcook at prosentient.com.au
Mon Apr 18 06:35:46 CEST 2016

We put together a proof of concept using my original OAI-PMH harvester, but
I wasn't a huge fan of it, as it was very simple. It didn't deduplicate
biblios, and it didn't include items (although we had the OAI-PMH server
inject a URL pointing back to the original Koha instance with the number of
items attached to the biblio).

I don't think anyone ever used it.

There is talk from some people about using my new OAI-PMH harvester for
making Koha a union catalogue... but I think that will be difficult and
require more development in Koha. The OAI-PMH harvester works great for
adding/updating/deleting bibliographic records, but adding/updating/deleting
items becomes very difficult depending on what's going on in your union
catalogue... although I guess we could do what EBSCO and VuFind do and just
provide live item info via an API... that's actually probably the way to do
it. Otherwise, your union catalogue will be stale... and it's difficult to
convey item state via item metadata... at least without changing how we use
that item metadata currently I think.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

David Cook
Systems Librarian