[Koha-devel] Pre-RFC on new discrete calendar

Katrin Fischer Katrin.Fischer.83 at web.de
Mon Aug 1 22:57:32 CEST 2016

Hi Philippe,

I still got some question marks about this idea... mostly it doesn't
feel quite right so far.

> Let's start with the backend: this is just a simple script that fills
> the calendar ahead of time (waaay ahead of time) to allow the user to
> modify schedules easily.  1 year is just a hardcoded value, it could
> as well be an argument allowing any number of days in the future.
> Same for the past: during updatedatabase, this creates one but could
> create two years in the past based on the info in the current calendar
> tables.  In the end, the point is to have a table entry for each day,
> specifying which day it WAS opened (for hourly fine calculation) and
> which day it will be opened (for hourly checkout or just for
> displaying the library open hours on the OPAC).  Going a year in the
> future, things are a bit dumb when creating, but always replicate the
> week before, except for items with notes (holiday) that are fetched on
> the calendar year a year before.  Then the librarian has plenty of
> time to adjust anything.
I think depending on the notes is not a good idea. You can add notes to
every kind of holiday at the moment - so you'd have to take a look at
the type of holiday - repeated yearly/weekly and unique. You'd also need
to take into account the exceptions to repeated holidays that you can
currently define.

> Which brings us to the UI.  Mine is ugly, but it would be easy to
> create a nice one AND SIMPLE one (coding) and powerful one (for
> users).  With that simple backend, it's very easy to simply allow
> multiple selections in the calendar widget, the modify opening hours,
> or holiday close with a note.  Or better: select a week anywhere in
> the calendar, then copy that to a given range.  3 days, a month, 3
> months...   Very simple in the UI, very few clicks.  Very simple to
> code in the backend.
It sounds like this type of calendar would need more regular maintenance
than the current system?

> So in the end, recovering the original work or Kyle's work or defining
> new standard, we have a calendar page with a simple calendar and below
> it a few edit box (opening hours, closing, notes, closed checkbox) and
> a apply button.  On the right, like right now, we can display all
> "special dates", which are the ones with a "note" entry.  In yellow
> those that are on days still opened, in pink those days that are
> marked as closed.  Of course, all UI schemes are very open to
> suggestion.  But it would be simple and naturally intuitive.

If I was to make a change to the calendar - would I have to wait for the
cronjob/script to run and update the table or would it take effect
immediately?

What will happen if a due date or other date is outside of the calendar?
I feel like by relying on a fixed date range, we are going to create
problems along the road if there is no rule based system as a backup at
least.

Katrin