[Koha-devel] 16.05, zebra and jessie

Tomas Cohen Arazi tomascohen at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 17:59:57 CEST 2016

El mié., 31 ago. 2016 a las 9:17, Philippe Blouin (<
philippe.blouin at inlibro.com>) escribió:

> We had time and a resources available for a while.  We got Bouzid to learn
> Elastic Search, learn about its integration in Koha, then wanted him to
> contribute.  But been told twice to ... wait.

I don't think that's the common behaviour in the dev group. Everyone does
whatever they want and tries to get attention on what they did, synergy.
Sometimes when one is doing some dev and others pretend to do it again, you
tell'em to hold on, so there's no overlap. But anyone willing to improve
the project is usually encouraged. Maybe a communication issue.

> We certainly have no time anymore.  We'll be back, but probably not until
> 2017 unless sponsored.

Well, at least you will be able soon :-D

> Now, may I suggest something?  Documentation.  Not user friendly, but at
> least dev-enlightening.
>
> "You" guys put time in there, as with plack and memcache and whatnot, but
> if you're on the outside, you have no way of getting a head start beside
> reading some 1200 bugzilla comments in chronological order to know what's
> the status, how to get it to work on a git, etc...  (my ref to plack is not
> accidental).

As a non-Plack-expert (but got involved on integrating it and fixing stuff)
I agree the conversation about Plack was difficult. Some problems are
really tricky and difficult to explain.

You can put tens of hours alone on the next bug and then wonder why nobody
> comes in when you call for testers, or invest a few hours on documenting a
> quick way for dummasses like me to catch up.

The best option is asking for help to get involved. I tend to translate
silence<->lack of interest. But maybe that's just my problem or a
different-culture problem.

I remember I sent several emails when trying to integrate Plack into the
packages and didn't get much attention. Maybe the question about the design
decisions we need to make about permission checking gets more attention,
because it is more a theoretical question.

Regards

--
Tomás Cohen Arazi
Theke Solutions (https://theke.io <http://theke.io/>)