[Koha-devel] Discussion for Bug 14757 - Allow the use of Template Toolkit syntax for slips and notices

Jonathan Druart jonathan.druart at bugs.koha-community.org
Wed Feb 3 11:23:14 CET 2016

Hello Kyle and others,

I really like the idea :)
I don't see major issues, and the lack of editor is a wrong issue
(what kind of editor do you want??)
The main point is that it will be much more powerful that our current
homemade syntax parser.
I have already used this enhancement on bug 15705: without the TT
syntax, I would never managed to answer the need (display a specific
error on notifying the user, depending on what was wrong).

IMO there are 3 steps to implement:
1/ Update existing notices to match our current TT syntax: [% var %]
OR (and maybe better) set START_TAG and END_TAG to '<<' and '>>' and
we have nothing to do here :)
2/ Take care of some specific variables we currently support:
LibrarianFirstname, LibrarianSurname, LibrarianEmailaddress, count,
today, ...
3/ Support of "repeatable": at the moment we cannot loop on elements
with [% FOREACH %], it's a shame and frustrating

Note that we already support the TT syntax in the CSV profiles (bug 12404).

The main question is: could we add TT directive in newly created
notices (see bug 15705 again)?
I would answer yes: it will add examples and people will notice that
something has changed. With a good help and good examples, it should
not be too hard to understand what does the code.

Cheers,
Jonathan