[Koha-devel] Country-specific forks?

Tajoli Zeno z.tajoli at cineca.it
Thu Feb 11 10:47:27 CET 2016

Hi Magnus and all,

Il 11/02/2016 10:38, Magnus Enger ha scritto:
> So do we want one Koha to rule them all, including country-specific
> features, or do we want one fork per country?
>
> Personally, I prefer the former. In the case of the Norwegian patron
> DB, that is one of the 2-3 "must have" features that all Norwegian
> public libraries will be looking for when they are choosing between
> Koha or some proprietary system. Should we be telling them "Nope, you
> can't use the real Koha, but you can use this fork over here"? That
> will not increase their confidence in choosing Koha, I suspect.

I subscribe the option "one Koha to rule them all".
In fact in Italy is possible that "one login DB for all libraries" and
"one Italian id for Authority[like Idref from France]" will became very
important.

Clearly those principles are important:
 > That said, I do think some principles should be applied:
 >
 > - Strive to make even the country specific features as general as
 > possible, so that others can use them as starting points for similar
 > features.
 >
 > - Strive to make the features as unobtrusive as possible.

and I hope that "in time, the plugin system can be made powerful enough
that it can handle some or all of the country-specific features?"

Bye
Zeno Tajoli

--
Zeno Tajoli
/ SVILUPPO PRODOTTI/ - Automazione Biblioteche