[Koha-devel] RFC for a really new stuff : sharing data worldwide

David Cook dcook at prosentient.com.au
Fri Jan 22 05:08:39 CET 2016

"Multi-tenant" is certainly a vague term. Koha via Debian packages is already multi-tenant at the code level. Personally I don't know why someone would promote "multi-tenant" as something desirable in a lot of contexts, but I see that you're referring to it in the sense of sharing data. That's cool.

One of my first tasks at Prosentient, back when I was an intern, was to create a SQL report database that was shared amongst all our Koha customers. It was early in my programmer days, so it's rather awful, but I think it may have been useful for a time. Each different Koha database user had read access to a central database schema of reports, and they could clone those reports into their local Koha database.

I think Chris Cormack, Liz Rea, and I were actually talking about the SQL Report Library on the wiki and how it's quite unwieldy... and Liz was saying how it would be great if you could upvote and downvote reports. I think that's something that you mention in your RFC (e.g. "good data" vs "bad data"). I think that's a great idea.

Vendors, serial (publishing) patterns... yeah I could see that being useful too. "Subscriptions" per se maybe not so much as those are specific to vendor-client contracts.

But yeah I think overall it's a good idea.

David Cook
Systems Librarian
Prosentient Systems
72/330 Wattle St, Ultimo, NSW 2007