[Koha-devel] What's on in Koha devel #2

Jonathan Druart jonathan.druart at bugs.koha-community.org
Sat Jul 9 15:07:16 CEST 2016

Hi devs,

As usual the month following the KohaCon is quite quiet. And
especially when people from half of the world are on holiday  :)
So not much was going on during the last month and the tendency will
certainly be the same the for next month.
If you are in holiday and you become bored, you can still tests some patches!

= Refactoring =
On the refactoring side, I have started to move the subroutine of
C4::Members to the Koha namespace, I will need help for testing and
QA, see bug 16846 (Move patron related code to Koha::Patron).

= Performances =
Some words about the performances area: bug 16166 (Improve L1 cache
performance and safety) has just been pushed and must continue to
improve our caching mechanism. Note that bug 16715 (Koha::Cache - Use
Sereal for serialization) is going to be pushed and that we are
currently evaluating a new way to set the memcached configuration to
make it easily accessible from command line scripts and cronjobs (see
bug 16579 - Use separate memcached namespace for caching
koha-conf.xml). I should also add that bug 16365 (Selectively
introduce GetMarcStructure() "unsafe" variant for better performance)
is waiting for testers.

= Elastic Search =
A bug has been found for new installations, the mapping tables are not
populated by the installer. There is no patch currently to fix it, but
a bug report has been opened (bug 16838 - Elasticsearch - mapping
tables are not populated on new installs)
If you are interested in testing a funny enhancement, you should take
a look at bug 14899 (Mapping configuration page for Elastic search).
It proposes a way to define mappings between the MARC fields and the
indexer fields.

= Mana =
Paul Poulain already announced some months ago that a new internship
at BibLibre, Morgan, will work on a way to share data
between Koha libraries around the world. It seems that the work is
going well! The code is shared and can be tested. See the announcement
on the mainling list
(https://lists.katipo.co.nz/pipermail/koha/2016-July/045739.html)

= Koha::Object[s] =
I have sent an email on koha-devel to discuss about our
Koha::Object[s] based class:
http://lists.koha-community.org/pipermail/koha-devel/2016-June/042782.html
It would be great to see more devs involved in this discussion!

= Bugs which need some love =
In the previous email I told you that 2 critical bugs were waiting for
signoff (bug 16554 and bug 16573). They have not been tested yet and
they block the support of Ubuntu 16.04.

A dev meeting is planned on the 13 July
(https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Development_IRC_meeting_13_July_2016).
Please have a look at the agenda and the different topics we will discuss.

Don't forget to register for the Hackfest in Marseille in October
(http://lists.koha-community.org/pipermail/koha-devel/2016-June/042790.html)!

Cheers,
Jonathan