[Koha-devel] Permissions for /var/spool/koha/instance and possible path changes

David Cook dcook at prosentient.com.au
Wed Jul 13 03:58:33 CEST 2016

Hi all,

I was just reviewing the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard, and it's led me to
think that the package backups should be written to /var/lib/koha rather
than /var/spool/koha.

Compare http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/fhs-5.8.html and
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/fhs-5.14.html

I say this because I want to make use of /var/spool/koha/instance/X to store
data for later processing, but notice that /var/spool/koha/instance can only
be written to by root, and thus is inaccessible to the Koha user.

So I figure that we should make /var/spool/koha/instance owned by the Koha
user and just have backups owned by root like usual. That would solve the
issue.

But on top of that. I'm wondering if we should be using
/var/lib/koha/instance/backups for storing the SQL and config backups. I'm
open to other ideas, but backups don't really seem like spooled data to  me.

David Cook

Systems Librarian

Prosentient Systems

72/330 Wattle St