[Koha-devel] Pre-RFC on new discrete calendar

Philippe Blouin philippe.blouin at inlibro.com
Thu Jul 21 18:43:34 CEST 2016

Hi!

I'm throwing a line here, and I'd just like to get a feel for the value
of offering some work to the community.  Mind you, the work is "big" so
honest responses could save us lot of wasted hours.

We've developed a parallel calendar table to specify each individual day
if it's opened or not (instead of rules and exception).  We added to it
the opening hours, and keep a year of them in the past, and a year in
the future.
The reasonning being:
- We need the opening hours.  They need to vary season to seasons. We
need them for hourly and minute loans.
- Exception and holidays and etc... are complicated.  To manage, to
calculate, to fix.  We need the past info as well, to calculate precisely.
- Performance.  Calculating with C4/Koha Calendars is sloooooooooow.
Our little table cut fines.pl calculation times by 97%.  Not a typo.
Checkout improvement by 30-60% but metric is unreliable so take with
grain of salt this one.

So before I go and write a wiki RFC, then open bugzillas, make the code
community acceptable (we're not using Schemas), complete it, write
tests, etc...  Is there an interest?  Would it answer a need (outside of
our clients) ?  Maybe a subset?

All comments, suggestions, questions are welcomed.

High regards,

Philippe Blouin,
Responsable du développement informatique

Tél.  : (888) 604-2627
philippe.blouin at inLibro.com <mailto:philippe.blouin at inLibro.com>

inLibro | pour esprit libre | www.inLibro.com <http://www.inLibro.com>