[Koha-devel] Pre-RFC on new discrete calendar

Tomas Cohen Arazi tomascohen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 20:23:33 CEST 2016

I'm all for speed improvements. But:
- A clear backwards-compatible upgrade path needs to be set and written.
- I think (because of the speed improvement) that you are realying more on
the DB features, this needs to be discussed if it can cause trouble.
- The less you change the API, the easier is to spot regressions for the
current blacklist-like implementation of the calendar. Tests could be
adjusted, but it'd be interesting to have the current tests pass.

Regards

El jue., 21 jul. 2016 a las 13:43, Philippe Blouin (<
philippe.blouin at inlibro.com>) escribió:

> Hi!
>
> I'm throwing a line here, and I'd just like to get a feel for the value of
> offering some work to the community.  Mind you, the work is "big" so honest
>
> We've developed a parallel calendar table to specify each individual day
> if it's opened or not (instead of rules and exception).  We added to it the
> opening hours, and keep a year of them in the past, and a year in the
> future.
> The reasonning being:
> - We need the opening hours.  They need to vary season to seasons.  We
> need them for hourly and minute loans.
> - Exception and holidays and etc... are complicated.  To manage, to
> calculate, to fix.  We need the past info as well, to calculate precisely.
> - Performance.  Calculating with C4/Koha Calendars is sloooooooooow.  Our
> little table cut fines.pl calculation times by 97%.  Not a typo.
> Checkout improvement by 30-60% but metric is unreliable so take with grain
> of salt this one.
>
> So before I go and write a wiki RFC, then open bugzillas, make the code
> community acceptable (we're not using Schemas), complete it, write tests,
> etc...  Is there an interest?  Would it answer a need (outside of our
> clients) ?  Maybe a subset?
>
> All comments, suggestions, questions are welcomed.
>
> High regards,
>
> Philippe Blouin,
> Responsable du développement informatique
>
> Tél.  : (888) 604-2627
> philippe.blouin at inLibro.com
> inLibro | pour esprit libre | www.inLibro.com

Tomás Cohen Arazi