[Koha-devel] How do we find consensus on interface changes?

David Cook dcook at prosentient.com.au
Mon Jun 6 02:13:59 CEST 2016

Lots of great comments here from everyone.

For my part, I'd love to see Owen as benevolent dictator of Koha's GUI. I
think he has the most experience, interest, and skill out of all of us in
this area.

If he's happy to let us rule ourselves using interface guidelines located in
the developer handbook, and occasionally bring down a ruling or carve a new
pathway, I think that sounds good too.

As Kyle says, I think we need something practical but also something which
provides uniformity. A keystone of UX is predictability. We need to provide
users with a consistent and predictable interface if they're going to have a
good experience with Koha.

Honestly, I think most developers (not just Koha developers) are really bad
at UX. While I know the theory, I'm not that great at it myself, and it's
because most of the time I'm focused on functionality rather than UX.

An additional idea... are there some heuristics that we can give to the QA
team? Sort of like... a slim set of rules which they can use to fail/pass a
template? Otherwise, the guidelines don't do much good. I think QA and the
RM need to have an intimate understanding of the guidelines, otherwise we're
just hoping that people follow them without verifying in any way that they
do.

David Cook
Systems Librarian

Prosentient Systems