[Koha-devel] Packing needs - status to add to bugzilla and the dashboard?

Brendan Gallagher info at bywatersolutions.com
Tue Mar 8 18:50:52 CET 2016

Yup all good points.  Not to put it all on the PM - but I think a way to
track this in BZ is needed.  A better workflow - perhaps based on Chris's
point - a "failed QA - needs package" status (or some worded status)?

Do we have a defined role description of responsibility of the Packaging
Manager?  (I've only read Robin's posts to the mailing list before - is
that it?)

On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 9:37 AM, Galen Charlton <gmc at esilibrary.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 12:30 PM, Chris Cormack <chrisc at catalyst.net.nz>
> wrote:
>>
>> I don't think it's fair to push this all on the package manager. If a dev
>>

> introduces new dependencies that need packaging, it should be their
>> responsibility to make sure this is done.
>>

> Indeed. I am willing to build *some* packages (and submit them to Debian),
> but that willingness is decidedly not infinite.
>
> The first question that somebody who proposes to add a new dependency
> should ask themselves is this: is there a way to accomplish the task at
> hand without adding a new dependency?  If not, can the task at hand be
> accomplished using packages that are already in Debian stable?  If not,
> does the dependency at least have an active third-party ITP (intent to
> package) in the Debian bug tracker?
>
> Regards,
>
> Galen
> --
> Galen Charlton
> Infrastructure and Added Services Manager
> Equinox Software, Inc. / Open Your Library
> email:  gmc at esilibrary.com
> direct: +1 770-709-5581
> cell:   +1 404-984-4366
> skype:  gmcharlt
> web:    http://www.esilibrary.com/
> Supporting Koha and Evergreen: http://koha-community.org &
> http://evergreen-ils.org

Brendan A. Gallagher
ByWater Solutions
CEO

Support and Consulting for Open Source Software
Installation, Data Migration, Training, Customization, Hosting
and Complete Support Packages
Headquarters: Santa Barbara, CA - Office: Redding, CT
Phone # (888) 900-8944
http://bywatersolutions.com
info at bywatersolutions.com