[Koha-devel] Koha packages: a directory for spooled data

David Cook dcook at prosentient.com.au
Thu Oct 6 06:21:32 CEST 2016

Hi all,

What would be a good directory to use for spooled data when using Koha
packages?

Ideally, I'd like to use /var/spool/koha/<koha-instance>/. However, only the
root user is about to write to that directory.

This isn't really a problem for source installs or dev installs, since we
control our own permissions, but it'll be a problem for package installs. I
suppose a person could use /tmp, but that's not really appropriate, since
/tmp isn't necessarily persistent. You might have a /tmp with tmpfs, have a
server reboot, and then lose your spooled data.

The answer to me is to allow the koha-instance user to write to
/var/spool/koha/<koha-instance> as well. However, I want to hear what other
people think, and hear about any alternative directory ideas.

Cheers,

David Cook

Systems Librarian

Prosentient Systems