[Koha-devel] Bug 16733 and related

Marcel de Rooy M.de.Rooy at rijksmuseum.nl
Fri Oct 28 10:44:42 CEST 2016

Hi all,

This bug (and various connected ones) is about making changes in the Debian scripts that make life somewhat easier when you decide to use git on a package install.

I realize that this is a somewhat controversial area. Several people do not want git near the Debian installs. I understand their concerns in terms of safety and keeping etc in sync with Koha (to say it shortly). In terms of safety you should indeed protect your staff client (iptables, rewrite rule like bug 16922?) For a production install you should probably only use git to manage custom patches on top of your Koha install.

Currently, this bug is just silently ignored. Although more people than just me use gitified package installs (especially for testing).

The current approach on bug 16733 may not be the most optimal one.

So, I am just triggering the discussion here. How can we go further with some more consensus here or should I just obsolete this line of development ?

Thanks for any feedback,

Marcel