[Koha-devel] To React or not to React

Paul A paul.a at navalmarinearchive.com
Wed Sep 21 16:51:39 CEST 2016

At 08:34 AM 9/21/2016 -0600, Kyle Hall wrote:
>Paul, that's not how it works. As I wrote earlier, if *I* sue Facebook I
>could potentially lose my right to distribute software using React, but
>you would be unaffected.

Kyle -- not wanting to flog a dead horse (and as I wrote IANAL), but Koha
is a prime example of open-source and has a track record of ensuring it
remains so. Philosophically I like that. Practically, I run a charity (our
members are the equity owners and I have no clue as to their love/hate
relationship with Facebook) and would not want to take risks, nor have the
budget to get a "legal opinion" (due diligence, and all that...)

Best -- Paul

>Kyle
>

><http://www.kylehall.info>http://www.kylehall.info
>ByWater Solutions ( <http://bywatersolutions.com>http://bywatersolutions.com )
>Meadville Public Library (
><http://www.meadvillelibrary.org>http://www.meadvillelibrary.org )
>Crawford County Federated Library System (
><http://www.ccfls.org>http://www.ccfls.org )
>
>On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 8:30 AM, Paul A
><<mailto:paul.a at navalmarinearchive.com>paul.a at navalmarinearchive.com> wrote:
>At 02:14 PM 9/21/2016 +0200, Mirko Tietgen wrote:
>David Cook schrieb am 21.09.2016
> > The updated licence isn̢۪t without controversy:
> >
> <<https://discuss.reactjs.org/t/legal-department-did-not-allow-use-of-react/3309/4>https://discuss.reactjs.org/t/legal-department-did-not-allow-use-of-react/3309/4>
> >
> https://discuss.reactjs.org/t/legal-department-did-not-allow-use-of-react/3309/4
> >
> > That said, I think the issue is that Facebook could revoke your
> > licence to use React if you take legal action against Facebook. I
> > don̢۪t imagine the Koha community is going to do do that, so it̢۪s
> > > probably not a blocker.
>
>If you are right and that is the issue, does that mean Koha would
>not be Free Software anymore unless everything React is reverted?
>
>That sounds like something I would not just push away with "i don't
>imagine that happening", it sounds scary and not a way I want to go.
>
>I don't see how a license that can be revoked for whatever reasons
>could work for us.
>

>Agreed. But IANAL. However ISTR that are recent thread suggested "tens of
>thousands" of potential libraries|users worldwide (based on downloads?) so
>Murphy|Sod's Law will kick in sooner or later...
>
>Best -- P.

---
Maritime heritage and history, preservation and conservation,
research and education through the written word and the arts.
<http://NavalMarineArchive.com> and <http://UltraMarine.ca>