[Koha-devel] Gender-neutral pronouns

Paul A paul.a at navalmarinearchive.com
Wed Apr 19 17:42:04 CEST 2017

On 2017-04-18 08:25 PM, Eric Phetteplace wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I opened bug
[snip]
> Before*:*
"Kid growing and become a juvenile, he should pay "
> After:
"Kid growing and become a juvenile, they should pay "

Political correctness has never been my strong point (although I try to
understand it), but I'm proficient in grammatical rigour. [1]

"Kid" is a singular noun, "a" is a singular article -- "they" is a
plural pronoun. Perhaps replace "they" with "[s]he"? or "Kids growing
and becoming juveniles, they should pay"?

 From a code maintenance p.o.v., it's easier to find and replace 'he'
with '[s]he' if really this becomes a priority for Koha.

Best -- Paul

[1] I am aware of the so-called "singular third person epicene 'they'",
but academically object to it -- it often suggests androgyny rather than
gender neutrality.