[Koha-devel] Where is the BIG RED WARNING button?

Tomas Cohen Arazi tomascohen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 15:28:39 CEST 2017

Hi everyone,

El mié., 26 jul. 2017 a las 16:15, Jonathan Druart (<
jonathan.druart at bugs.koha-community.org>) escribió:

> Hi devs,
>
> I started the discussion during today's dev meeting.
> As RM I realise that I need a big red warning button to push to trigger
> help when there is something urgent to do.
> The last problem has been the already famous checkin issues (see bug 18966
> and ancestors). They were marked as "blocker" for the last 2 months and
> affected all the stable releases. I tried to alert you several times but I
> did not really receive the attention needed.

I've been on this situation myself while being the RM, and I know is a bit
frustrating. You've tried several different options and people seem to be
focused on other stuffs.

> There are several ways to help you to know easily what is waiting for
> urgent attention:
> - The dashboard displays a "bug tracker health status" which shows
> blocker, critical and major bugs (http://dashboard.koha-community.org)

I have the dashboard tab fixed on my browser, but I would prefer the
important stuff to show and update automatically without the need to click
in there.

- This section can be easily displayed on your own bug tracker using
> http://dashboard.koha-community.org/bz_status

I would prefer we try to add browser notifications :-D

> - I report on the kanban the tasks waiting for help, there is also a red
> "important" tag to highlight some. The columns list the bugs in the
> different queues with the most importants on top (
> https://tree.taiga.io/project/joubu-koha-rm-1711/kanban)

I really TRY to follow Taiga, and I do my best, but I get lost most of the
time. I have my own Trello boards and then try to put progress in Taiga but
I'm usually overloaded.

> - The "what's on in koha-devel" email list the bugs that are waiting for
> love

I love those emails. When I read them I don't usually answer, but I do see
if I can help with the important things that require attention. Maybe I/we
should answer them so we account better who's actually following what's on.

> I am not sure what I can do more to match your workflow, and I do not
> think I should propose something else. I really would like to avoid
> individual and repeated pings.

I think what you're doing is more than we should expect. So you don't need
to do something else. People reading this email as a message to them should
think what is preventing them from being more involved on the (daily)
stuffs that need to be done.
But don't forget most of this is voluntary work in some cases. When I
started getting involved back in 2009 I stealed time from by bosses, who
knew what I was doing and didn't care as long as the libraries we are
serving were happy :-D

I do not provide paid support to any customers and then, I do not
> understand why I care more about blocker and critical than paid support
> companies. If you do not think it is important, why should I? :)

So true!

> This discussion has to be done and answers to be given, I do not plan to
> push anything "big" until we have a solution. Indeed I do not want to take
> the risk to face another situation like that.

Yours is a strong message. delaying some big stuffs hurts the devs I'm
involved with, but I cannot blame you because if things are broken in
stable releases, what's the point of adding more complexities adding more
breakages? I don't agree with the method, but I respect you for standing
and encouraging people to use their resources to help the project more.

My 2c

--
Tomás Cohen Arazi
Theke Solutions (https://theke.io <http://theke.io/>)