[Koha-devel] Advice for testing bug 17710

Tomas Cohen Arazi tomascohen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 15:12:26 CET 2017

El jue., 12 ene. 2017 a las 0:54, David Cook (<dcook at prosentient.com.au>)
escribió:

> I suppose in this case I rather be told what’s enough than doing my best
> and being told it’s not enough. I suppose we’re all time poor, but I don’t
> have 100% time on Koha anymore.

I guess there's no straight answer. It will depend on signoffers and QA
people's opinion. People tend to focus on the stuff they care, lately, so
that's why I said...

> Test::MockModule might work. Long term, it probably makes more sense to
> refactor get_matches, but I think it could work for now to show that the
> code I’m using works. Although in that case, should I put my sorting code
> as a function or copy and paste from the module into the test? I suppose
> any time a person says copy and paste, the answer is make a function…
>

> What do you mean by keep in touch with QA members?

... you should keep in touch with people that might have interest in
helping you get your patches in. Sometimes people just drop some patches
and wait for others to care about them. And it doesn't work like that most
of the time. Keeping in touch means contacting them, explain things, ask
for feedback on specific edges.

When you write patches for complicated stuff that doesn't have prior tests,
your best bet is to mock most of the context so you can create the desired
scenario. That's what I did with Auth_with_ldap.t at some point. It was
even fun to write.
--
Tomás Cohen Arazi
Theke Solutions (https://theke.io <http://theke.io/>)