[Koha-devel] ReactJS license problems

Thomas Dukleth kohadevel at agogme.com
Tue Jul 25 14:16:30 CEST 2017

[Reply inline.]

On Tue, July 25, 2017 06:42, Jesse wrote:
> While I personally believe that patent aggression from Facebook would be
> suicidal for their open-source presence and gain them little, there is
> enough of a possibility to raise some concern.

As I tried to emphasise previously, the problem with Facebook BSD+Patents
license is incompatibility with use in a program under free software
licenses including it seems GPLv3.  If the ReactJS license is incompatible
with GPLv3, we need not analyse further.

The Facebook BSD+Patents does protect from much possibility of Facebook
patent aggression.  Facebook need not do anything worse than issue
software under such a license.  If license incompatibility would not be a
problem, the most likely hazard would be indirect as in the example case
which I cited from Aaron Williamson which I tried to modify for something
closer to a hypothetical situation affecting some possible organisation
using Koha.  [See the Minimising Patent Problems section in my previous
message quoted further below.]

> I keep my fingers crossed
> that Facebook will do the same for React as RocksDB, and dual-license
> under
> the APL.

A significant distinction which might lead Facebook to change the license
away from Facebook BSD+Patents for RocksDB but not for ReactJS is that
much of the code in RocksDB is from LevelDB written at Google.  Yet,
Facebook originally released ReactJS under Apache License version 2 which
gives hope.

Thomas Dukleth
Agogme
109 E 9th Street, 3D