[Koha-devel] Storing non-MARC data in biblio_metadata

Tomas Cohen Arazi tomascohen at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 12:27:21 CEST 2018

It should be schema. We didn't want to change many things at a time in such
a sensitive tables.

It should probably pick Koha::MetadataRecord ideas.

The main problem is making Koha aware of this in all senses.
Definitely needs an RFC!

Cheers

El vie., 10 de ago. de 2018 05:44, David Cook <dcook at prosentient.com.au>
escribió:

> Hi all,
>

> How do people feel about storing non-MARC metadata in the biblio_metadata
> table?
>

> Typically, the “format” column contains the string “marcxml” and the
> “metadata” column contains the MARCXML text, but it seems like someone
> could put in “RDF/XML” and RDFXML text instead?
>

> The one barrier to that is the “marcflavour” column which is a “NOT NULL”
> column. I mean… that could be an empty string… but I wonder if there’s a
> way of de-MARCing that column?
>

> I’m trying to think of analogs for other scenarios. I mean in the case of
> RDF… you might have RDF/XML or JSON-LD… which are separate formats but
> they’re both “RDF”.
>

> I wonder if “marcflavour” could be better known as “schema”, or “model”,
> or “standard”, or something else?
>

> I know choosing wording is hard. For instance, MARC::File::XML (
> https://metacpan.org/pod/MARC::File::XML) refers to UNIMARC and MARC21 as
> formats. Dublin Core and MODS are often referred to as schemas. MARC21 is
> often called a standard. According to
> http://www.loc.gov/marc/unimarctomarc21.html, UNIMARC and MARC21 are
> formats. RDF gets called a data model with different data serialization
> formats.
>

> I know it would probably be a lot of work to change “marcflavour” to
> something else, especially since we’ve all been familiar with “marcflavour”
> for many years now, but I’m thinking maybe it’s time we change that name.
>

> David Cook
>
> Systems Librarian
>
> Prosentient Systems
>
> 72/330 Wattle St