[Koha-devel] Koha users wiki page outdated, use HEA

Liz Rea liz at catalyst.net.nz
Fri Aug 24 01:11:59 CEST 2018

On 23/08/18 19:27, Paul Poulain wrote:
> Hello Liz,
>

> Le 23/08/2018 à 04:39, Liz Rea a écrit :
>> Hi Paul,
>>
>> No objection really, using Hea is a good thing and I recommend
>> libraries enable it. We should make asking about enabling it the last
>> step of the onboarder [is it there already? I forget...]. :)
>>
>> What I would like to see, is a lighter weight checkin to hea, where
>> if you (or your IT department) were feeling a bit wary about sending
>> all of your syspref stats to Hea, you could send only your Library
>> name and contact information, if desired (Koha could, of course,
>> provide things like the currently running version) as a one off.
> This idea sounds surprising to me: sharing sysprefs in anonymous way
> look less sensible than sharing library & contact. That's why we wrote
> HEA with only 3 options: share nothing / share data anonymously
> (including syspref) / share everything.
> In your idea, what about numbers already shared (like # of biblios,
> patrons, issues, ...) ? should they be sent with syspref or with
> library name/contact ?
> OTHER : do you think it's an option that will result in more libraries
> being on HEA ?

I do feel like having just the name and the contact information, as a
one off submission, would result in more libraries being listed in Hea -
especially if it's the last step in the onboarder at installation time,
and available say, to do later from the about page. could add a default
news item pointing to the preferences to turn it on and/or register your
library with the community.

IT departments are weird sometimes, what can I say. ^.^

>> I recognise this is a feature request for Hea :D and I think I'd be
>> happy at some stage to build the bits into Koha that were required to
>> have the feature, if it seems like something desirable to have in
>> addition to the auto reporting.
>>
>> I have other ideas about how one-off data could be used too, for
>> example you could flag those libraries if they never updated
>> automatically (or done an additional one off submission later) in Hea
>> "this library hasn't reported in for a long time - this entry may be
>> suspect." Those could be in an entirely separate list, too. Could
>> also email the contact automatically "hey update your entry if you're
>> still using Koha!"
> Good news: we store the "last update timestamp" on the server. So we
> can do that really easily ;)

Liz Rea
Catalyst.Net Limited
Level 6, Catalyst House,
150 Willis Street, Wellington.
P.O Box 11053, Manners Street,
Wellington 6142

GPG: B149 A443 6B01 7386 C2C7 F481 B6c2 A49D 3726 38B7