[Koha-devel] Possible memory leak when using ZOOM libraries with Zebra

David Cook dcook at prosentient.com.au
Wed Dec 19 02:08:14 CET 2018

Hi all,

I've been playing with the ZOOM libraries and Zebra, and it seems like
there's a memory leak when using C4::Context->Zconn with the environmental
variable GATEWAY_INTERFACE.

I had a script that was creating a new connection for each request, and
C4::Context->Zconn did look like it was calling the destroy method on the
connection before creating a new one, and it was clear that each request was
using a new connection, but I noticed the memory usage on the script slowly
started going up. For a long-running script, the memory usage got over a
gigabyte.

If I re-use the connection (ie don't have GATEWAY_INTERFACE turned on),
there's no memory leak.

It shouldn't matter for CGI Koha, but I'm curious how this might affect
Plack Koha. I haven't looked yet, but I figured it was worth sharing my
observation. I suppose Plack recycles workers, so it's not dangerous, but I
wonder if this is affecting the memory usage of Plack workers. Food for
thought at least.

David Cook

Systems Librarian

Prosentient Systems