[Koha-devel] Exploration of Koha ElasticSearch implementation

Claire Hernandez claire.hernandez at biblibre.com
Thu Jan 18 16:00:19 CET 2018

Hi,

I want to share a work with you. I knew we can now switch SearchEngine
syspref to ElasticSearch in Koha community version, but I didn't know a
lot more. I explored with some BibLibre guys what we can really do, if
we can propose this feature to our users. It seems there is some work to
do but it would be great to have a more solid version for 18.05 if we
test and fix more things, a version for early adopters who want to try
it in production.

I began a document where I list the gap to this version, it is a work in
progress. I integrated the items identified by Nick (kidclamp) in the
wiki page (Elastisearch_status). Thanks. I could have put everything in
bugzilla or wiki but it wasn't ideal to me at this time. Depending your
feedback I can make it better.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10VUKvIYZjlbJhE-oCLmInLe601su6vIRBRC_g6oNekE/edit#gid=0

Notes about tabs:
- Way to 18.05 : I wanted it "macro functionnal", but currently it lists
features or issues that may be too small. I tried to evaluate the work
in "complexity point", "1" can be one developper day or maybe more or less;
- Questions : can be used as a faq, I dropped my questions, sometimes I
answered myself and other time someone else answeredme;
- Queries and behaviours : we did a lot of work to implement Solr in
Koha (at BibLibre, it begun in 2011) and an advanced search version is
always maintained. I think it can be asked, so I pasted a list of
queries we work with, it is expected to be different, it is just examples;
- Pros : quick list of advantages for ElasticSearch in Koha

Please, feel free to read, add lines, add questions or whatever. I am
often available on #koha (@clrh).

Claire.