[Koha-devel] Can we do away with items.onloan?

Barton Chittenden barton at bywatersolutions.com
Fri May 18 20:26:14 CEST 2018

One of my first trouble-shooting experiences with Koha involved a report of
search results where an item was showing as 'available', but the detail
showed it checked out to a patron. Some helpful bywaterian pointed me to
items.onloan, and issues.date_due, and showed me that they didn't match. A
database update and a zebra re-index later, and the problem was solved.

We've never figured out the circumstances under which these get out of
sync... we always find out about it after the fact. I'm sure that we could
find everywhere that they're written, and put the writes to the items table
and the issues table into a single transaction... but wouldn't it be better
to simply add the due date to the marcxml record from the issues table at
the time of indexing and remove the possibility of error entirely?

It's a paper-cut of a problem, but it's always bothered me.

--Barton