[Koha-devel] Formatting control number searches

Barton Chittenden barton at bywatersolutions.com
Fri May 25 20:06:08 CEST 2018

On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 3:34 PM, Katrin Fischer <katrin.fischer.83 at web.de>
wrote:

> Hi Barton,
>
> Control-number is the index on 001. 001 should have the number and 003 the
> MarcOrgCode, that's why it's stripped from $w for search. I don't know
> about OCLCs practices, so can't tell how numbers are handled there. The
> examples here show a number with ocm in 001:
>
> http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd001.html
>
>From that link:

Contains the control number assigned by the organization creating, using,
> or distributing the record. For interchange purposes, documentation of the
> structure of the control number and input conventions should be provided to
> exchange partners by the organization initiating the interchange.

That potentially means that we would have to write XSLT to transform the
links in $w for each 'exchange partner' -- i.e. test the Marc Org Code,
then apply a bunch of rules to generate a value that we can search for.

The examples don't leave me brimming with confidence that most exchange
partners will use the same format for $w (after the Org Code) as for the
001:

*001* #880524405##
003 CaOONL

*001* ###86104385#
003 DLC

*001* ocm14919759
003 OCoLC
*001* #####9007496
003 DNLM

The description for $w (http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd76x78x.html)
> doesn't have a matching example:
>
> "System control number of the related record preceded by the MARC code,
> enclosed in parentheses, for the agency to which the control number
> applies."
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Katrin

Well, at the very least, it lets me know what I'm getting myself into.

I wonder if there's a way of translating the values found in $w into 001
outside of XSLT -- that's a language not well suited to the task. Could we
do it in perl, and stash the results in some 9XX field?

I was kind of hoping that we would be able to use whatever we got back
from extractControlNumber as a base for any transformations. That may or
may not be a safe assumption.